Monday 3 May 2010

I have been reading a lot of Hilaire Belloc lately - notably How the Reformation Happened, an excellent book, perhaps the best monograph on the subject. I cannot recommend the historical (or, for that matter, the poetical) works of Belloc highly enough - he is the source of most of my historical knowledge; and he is almost invariably right in his conclusions; perhaps the "almost" is not necessary. It was Belloc's ambition to rewrite the anti-Catholic and therefore false official history of this country; and this, in my judgement, he achieved, and successfully. I have heard him called inferior to Christopher Dawson; I have not read Dawson, so I cannot make any comment other than that if Dawson is a better historian than Belloc, Dawson must be a very good historian indeed.

1 comment: