Saturday 6 February 2010

St Paul Miki & Companions

Today (Saturday) is, in the new calendar, the Memoria of St Paul Miki and Companions - twenty-six sixteenth-century Japanese martyrs. On the old calendar it is the Feast of St Titus, and a commemoration of St Dorothea. However, since this is Saturday evening, that makes it "Evening Prayer I" or "First Vespers" of Sunday; so it is liturgically speaking the Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time, or the Fifth Sunday of the Year, in the new calendar, but in the traditional calendar tomorrow is Sexagesima Sunday and we are currently upon the Eve of Sexagesima Sunday; we are counting down to Lent, which is not very far away.
I heard another slightly odd sermon from the same priest who gave the previous slightly odd sermon. I remember it began with advertisements and deodorant. This beginning seemed strangely irrelevant to the main point of the sermon. Perhaps it was not what the priest said as the way he said it that struck me as odd.

I wish I could get up earlier. I am setting my alarm for 8.30 tomorrow, and I am jolly well getting up at 8.30, and not a minute later. I don't like wasting my whole morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment