Sunday 21 November 2010

I cite this very impressive comment of sanabituranima's in a Facebook debate.

Of course the Church is an institution. What on earth is your point.

" What proof do you have that I am wrong?"

The burden of proof lies with you. You must prove you are right.
...
When there is widespread testimony that you have cured incurable illnesses, walked on water and raised the dead (and the people giving that testimony have no good reason to lie - indeed, they continue to speak of these miracles EVEN WHEN THEY ARE THREATENED WITH DEATH FOR DOING SO) then I might think about believing you.

When this divine inspiration inspires something as heart-wrenchingly beautiful as the Gospel of John, as passionate and persuasive as the epistles of Paul, as simple yet compelling as the gospel of Mark, as filled with compassion for the oppressed as the gospel of Luke, as life-changing as the sermon on the mount as recounted by Matthew, then I might think about believing you.

When people hear your message and are willing to be tortured and murdered for the sake of it, in their thousands, and the tortures and murders do not discourage but rather encourage belief in your message, then I might think about believing you.

When your message is enough to satisfy the intellects of men and women as intellegent as St. Augustine, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Catherine of Siena, St. Teresa of Avila, St. John Chrysostom, St. Iranaeus, St. Anselm etc, and yet simple enough to be understood and loved by little children, then I might think about believing you.

When your views have been attacked on every single point for two thousands years, and withstood environments that were indifferent, derisive or outright persecutory for two thousand years, then I might think about believing you.

When what you say has inspired heroic charity like that of Saint Vincent De Paul, Blessed Mother Teresa, Father Damien of Molokai or Saint Aloyius Gozanga then I might think about believing you.

Heck, if you can even convince me that you understand the instituaion you are criticisng, I might think about believing you.

Until then, I am going to carry on with my life and Robot Unicorn (hopefully more of the former than the latter, although perhaps that is somewhat optimistic!)

No comments:

Post a Comment