Tuesday 16 November 2010

There is an amazing collection of ancient MSS. and books in the Cathedral Library. I wanted to look at an 11th-c. MS. of the Rule of St Benedict. Apparently I have to get my supervisor to make a case for it being necessary for me to see it. But it isn't necessary; I just want to view it out of historico-antiquarian interest. Perhaps I could get my supervisor to write this:

Dear Librarian,

My student, David Mitchell, wishes to view MS 12345 (Regula Sancti Benedicti), since he is interested in (1) history, (2) religion, (3) medieval manuscripts, (4) palaeographic Latin abbreviations, (5) the monastic life in medieval Europe, (6) the Rule of St Benedict. He does not need to see it but he will be very upset if permission is not granted.
Yours at a moderately warm temperature,

Dr Alphabetagammadeltaepisolenzetaetathetaiotakappalambdamunuxiomnicronpirhosigmatauupsilonphichpsiomega


Hey ho.

No comments:

Post a Comment