Monday 13 December 2010

This is extremely beautiful and brought tears to my eyes. Lines 2-5 of the first Tieh are by Wang Wei (699-759 A.D.)


First Tieh

1 Bright and joyous spring,

2 The early morning rain at Wei-ch’eng moistens the light dust.

3 The Willow tree next to the inn shines in fresh greeness.

4 Please, bottoms-up once more, for now you are leaving to the West;

5 Outside the Yang-kuan gate there is no old friend.

6 Walk fast, walk fast on that faraway road.

7 One will pass gates and cross rivers

8 With endless hardship, with endless hardship

9 During this ever endless hardship,

10 Please take care of yourself, take care of yourself

Second Tieh

(Repeat lines 2 through 5 of First Tieh)

To long for and worry about you, parting unwillingly,

The falling tears stain my handkerchief.

After bidding farewell, how lonely it will be,

How lonely it will be.

I shall miss you day by day, night by night.

With whom can I share my thoughts? With whom can I share my thoughts?

My melancholy heart shall follow you day by day,

Follow you day by day.

Third Tieh

(Repeat lines 2 through 5 of First Tieh)

Oh, the delicate wine! Oh, the delicate wine!

I have drunk it all, for my heart is already intoxicated.

Soon you will begin your journey on a grey horse to the far distance.

You will ride away on a grey horse to the far distance.

When will I be able to hear your returning carriage sound?

Today, in this brief moment how many cups of wine can we drink together?

Even after a thousand cups of wine there will always be an end.

Within my heart you will not be forgotten.

Alas, here is the everlasting sadness!

We shall write to each other our loving thoughts, our frequent messages

As if we are still together, as if we are still together.

1 comment: